Friday, June 12, 2015

Distasteful Funeral Service

Two days ago, I attended a funeral for a baby whom was born stillborn from a premature birth. I did not know the parents personally but the mother was a good friend of my ex husband. I could only imagine the emotional turmoil she was facing and after the sermon at the graveside service, I could only imagine it made it far worse....

I've never particularly liked Christian funerals. They have often times seemed too much like a church sermon and in no way related to the life of the individual that had passed on. I've only known two services that ever did so. One my mother went to where she raved about a live band and everyone wearing Hawaiian shirts and flip flops. The other was a dinner for my Uncle Robert where the point was to talk about him in good light and to tell the funny stories that made his life memorable. These have been my favorite forms for remembering those who have crossed the veil. However, both involved someone who had lived many years and led a good life. So what does one do for a baby that didn't even live a day? 

It seems the situation called for the telling the family, including both parents, that if you do not live your life well and accept Jesus that you will never meet this beautiful baby in heaven. I was shocked that anyone would say to a grieving mother who just lost her precious baby, who never once even got to see him smile or coo, that they may never see their child in heaven. Being Wiccan, I do not have to dread the idea of that feeling of pressure to do right by "God" so to see my baby in heaven. However, it is still a very insensitive thing to ever hear at any funeral I have attended or heard of. I know in the Christian views that it makes sense that one might not be reunited with loved ones, but to actually hear this at a funeral for a baby? I was appalled.

I guess this is the downside to living within the bible belt. *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment